Breeding a Pokemon
Breeding is a mechanic that creates a new Pokémon out of two existing Pokémon.
Laying an egg involves selecting a female Pokémon from your party then a compatible male Pokémon. An egg is the finished result when done.
To make the egg hatch, you need to visit the Breeding Center in the Pokemon Center once a day for two days. For example, an Igglybuff egg takes a total of three days(one for starting the breeding and two to hatch). Once the egg has hatched, you can send both parents and the new baby back to your party. The parent Pokémon are kept in the breeding center until the egg hatches.
The new Pokémon is of the same species as the female Pokémon. One exception is when Ditto is chosen as the first Pokémon, then the male Pokémon would determine the species.
Note: Pokémon from hacked versions will give hacked eggs.
Breeding Shiny/Shadow Pokemon
There is a chance of the new Pokémon being shiny/shadow. Here are the criteria:
- Parents being in the same family will increase the shiny and shadow chance of the egg by 10%.
- One parent being shiny/shadow will increase the shiny and shadow chance respectively by 2% per parent that is shiny/shadow.
- Holding a Gold Incense/Dark Incense will also increase the chance of the egg being shiny/shadow respectively by 4% per item. (The incense is consumed after use)
The highest percentage achievable is when both Pokémon are from the same family, both being shiny, and both holding Gold Incense. This would give you a 22% chance for the egg to be shiny and a 10% chance for the egg to be shadow. The same opposite goes for shadow Pokémon.
Special Pokémon Only for Breeding
Baby Pokémon are Pokémon that are usually bred, most with the parent holding an item. Most of those Pokemon are evolved by friendship
- Pichu (Breed Pikachu or Raichu or deevolve either)
- Cleffa (Breed Clefairy or Clefable or deevolve either)
- Igglybuff (Breed Jigglypuff or Wigglytuff or deevolve either)
- Tyrogue (Deevolve a Hitmonchan or Hitmonlee)
- Smoochum (Breed Jynx or deevolve one)
- Budew (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion)
- Chingling (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion)
- Bonsly (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion, Silver Version)
- Mime Jr. (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion, Gold Version)
- Riolu (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion)
- Mantyke (Can be caught in Sinnoh Invasion)
Special Genderless Pokemon
These are only possible with Ditto
Note: Legendary Pokemon (i.e. Articuno) are not breedable.